Over the last two years, we’ve collected a great deal of data on how different types of employees adopt gaming, social and mobile technologies. We’re excited to share our analysis based on 27,737 eligible employees across organizations that include significant engineering, manufacturing, sales, blue collar and non-native English speaking populations.
Young, old or everybody?
We compared the age distribution of H Engage participants against our eligible employee population. This tested if engagement channels that utilize game mechanics, mobile and social media are more likely to attract younger people — a common hypothesis — or if technology adoption crosses age barriers, as most publicly available data suggests.
Results show broad adoption
The outcomes are pretty stunning. H Engage adoption by age almost exactly mirrors the eligible population.
The graph below paints the picture in detail. It segments the total employee population by age bracket. For example, 2% of the eligible population is 18-24, 18% is 25-34. Those percentages are compared to the percentage of total H Engage participants that fit into the same age bracket. In this case, also 2% of the H Engage participants are 18-24 while 20% are 35-34.
Close alignment in each age bracket means that the ages of H Engage participants reflects that of the eligible population.
We’re pleased to see that even 65-74 year olds use these technologies. We hope this data helps dispel the notion that older employees are not ready for gaming, mobile and social.